Monday, March 11, 2013

Review: I've Had My Baby Now What?

About I've Had My Baby Now What?
 
by Shalay Struhs

     Many women find themselves unprepared for the physical, mental, and emotional changes they experience after childbirth. The hormonal surges are more dramatic than at any other time in a woman's life, and these intense hormonal changes can cause a wide range of symptoms and problems. There are a plethora of books written about the various stages of pregnancy, but there is very little information available about the postpartum stage. I've Had My Baby, Now What? addresses this concern with a step-by-step guide to safely and naturally balance your hormones-significantly diminishing postpartum problems and healing the body faster and more effectively than ever! {Blurb from Amazon.com}

Stephanie's Review of I've Had My Baby Now What?

I was recently asked to review I've Had My Baby, Now What? Your Step by Step Guide to Surviving the Postpartum Year Safely and Naturally. I am always up for a great non-fiction book and was thrilled to know I would soon be receiving a copy to review. 

Unfortunately, I was disappointed when I received the book. The book is more like a booklet. While the information in the book is related, it's very minimal. I don't think an expecting or new mom would be happy with the purchase for the price. The book is very small and only offers 30 pages- including the cover page, introduction, index and other pages that are usually not considered in page count. Taking away all the pages that aren't part of the book, you are left with 18 pages. Not much of a guide if you ask me.

As a mother myself, I felt that the book was very vague in considering what you would expect in a book titled  I've Had My Baby, Now What? Your Step-by-Step Guest to Surviving the Postpartum Year Safely and Naturally. I expected a book, especially for nearly $12, to include various topics. Unfortunately, this book only included information on Diet, Supplements, Yoga, Acupuncture, Sleep, Water and Walking. Those topics are the listed chapter titles. Some of those 'chapters' consisted of less than 3 paragraphs and they all consisted of general information you would find in pamphlets and information from your OBGYN. The 'step-by-step guide for postpartum' was well-written, but contained  common knowledge for a healthy lifestyle, and very little. Yes, those factors increase quality of life after child birth, but they also benefit your regardless of whether you just gave birth, male or female, young or old. 

Don't get me wrong, the information was useful, just not what I was hoping for. I can see where it would benefit a mother who had not taken care of herself in previous years and wanted to get a healthy new start- if she had not idea that she needed to drink water, exercise, take vitamins and well, sleep. I mean, very basic stuff. I don't think it includes everything you would need for what is claimed to be a guide for 'what happens after the baby is born'. 




I've Had My Baby, Now What? Your Step by Step Guide to Surviving the Postpartum Year Safely and Naturally is available at Amazon.com.



FTC Disclosure: Please note that I did receive a copy of this book, from the author,Shalay Struhs, at her request to review the book. The review above is my own honest opinion. Stephanie {Stephanie's Book Shelf} is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment